The Department of Biotechnology was established in 2002 at Anna University with the following objectives:
- To carry out fundamental research in the frontier areas of biotechnology
- To promote research and consultancy activities in various areas of biotechnology.
- To enhance the human resource in Biotechnology and Food technology through training of students towards Ph.D programme
The Administrative building is located in the Main Campus, besides to it a separate Academic Complex is situated exclusively to offer teaching programmes for the B.Tech. Industrial Biotechnology & M.Tech. Biotechnology; B.Tech. & M.Tech. Food Technology; B.Tech. Biopharmaceutical technology & M.Tech. Pharmaceutical Technology; M.Sc Computational Biology; M.Tech. Nanoscience and Technology.
Apart from the research centre, in the main campus of Anna University the Centre has an Administrative building and Teaching complex.
Several laboratory findings have been published in reputed international journals and presented at many national and international conferences. The UGC has recognized the Department under Department Research Scheme. The Department of Biotechnology, Government of India has granted a long term Program Support in the areas of
- Diagnostic Platform for Infectious Diseases
- Macromolecular structure and Design
The Centre provides various laboratory facilities to process food products for practical as well as research purpose. The Centre maintains links with various research institutes and food processing industries and also provides consultancy services to various reputed organization.