The Centre for Biotechnology was established in 1987 in Anna University with financial support from Department of Biotechnology, Delhi, University Grants Commission, Delhi and Anna University with the following objectives:
- To carry out fundamental research in the frontier areas of biotechnology
- To promote research and consultancy activities in various areas of biotechnology.
- To enhance the human resource in Biotechnology and Food technology through training of students towards Ph.D programme
The Centre has a well defined building at Taramani campus with facilities for carrying out research in various areas of Biotechnology, housing modern infrastructure to conduct work in Bioprocess Technology, Immunology, Drug Discovery, Chemical Biology, Computational Biology, Stem Cell Biology.
Apart from the research centre, in the main campus of Anna University the Centre has an Administrative building and Teaching complex.
Several laboratory findings have been published in reputed international journals and presented at many national and international conferences. The UGC has recognized the Department under Department Research Scheme. The Department of Biotechnology, Government of India has granted a long term Program Support in the areas of:
- Diagnostic Platform for Infectious Diseases
- Macromolecular structure and Design
The areas of research are contemporary and the Centres boast of a good mix of experienced researchers and vibrant young faculty.The Centre for Food Technology was established in 2010 to meet the requirements for well qualified and trained human resources to cater to the needs of the rapidly growing food processing sector. A grant for a period of five years had been sanctioned by Department of Biotechnology, Government of India to Anna university, Chennai, to establish the Centre with the objectives:
- To carry out research in the frontier areas of Food Process and Nutrition
- To develop manpower in these areas
The Centre provides various laboratory facilities to process food products for practical as well as research purpose. The Centre maintains links with various research institutes and food processing industries and also provides consultancy services to various reputed organizations.