ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Civil Engineering of Anna University is the oldest in the Country. It dates back to May 17, 1794, when the East India Company established a Survey School to train military personnel and surveyors. This has grown to a Civil Engineering School in 1858 and later a Civil Engineering College in 1859.
Over the years with the help of dedicated group of people, it expanded to the present level as one of a highly reputed group of Civil Engineering Departments in the country. Presently the Department of Civil Engineering has six well established disciplines - Structures, Water Resources, Soil Mechanics, Environmental Engineering, Urban Engineering and Remote Sensing.
The Department Functions with Three Divisions
- Division of Structural Engineering
- Division of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering
- Division of Transportation Engineering
- Centre for Water Resources
- Centre for Environmental Studies
- Centre for Climate Change and Disaster Management
- Institute of Remote Sensing
- Institute for Ocean Management
- Building Technology Centre
These centres and divisions all have fully developed laboratories with classroom facilities and are renowned for their academic
and research achievements at national and international levels. The Department of Civil Engineering has been approved for a very long time
as a centre for the Quality Improvement Programme at Masters and Doctoral levels.
Department of Civil Engineering, Anna University, shall strive hard to develop and impart technical knowledge and professional skills required
for Civil Engineering practice through excellence in teaching, research and consultancy to address sustainable infrastructure development
needs at local, national and international levels.
Department of Civil Engineering, Anna University shall contribute to technological and social development by
1. Providing a firm scientific and technological base in Civil Engineering to achieve self-reliance.
2. Providing quality education through innovation in teaching practices at par with global standards.
3. Nurturing leadership and entrepreneurship qualities with ethical values.
4. Developing and disseminating latest knowledge and technologies in emerging areas of Civil Engineering.
5. Sharing intellectual resources and infrastructure facilities through collaborative partnership.
6. Ensuring supporting conditions for enhancing the employability skills.