+91 44 22357800

Control and Instrumentation

About the Division

The Division of Control & Instrumentation engineering was started in the year 1988 as a regular AICTE approved programme to offer Post-Graduation in Control & Instrumentation. This course is offered as a Full-time programme, to encourage fresh Non-Gate & 5 Gate candidates and industry-sponsored practicing engineers. The curriculum is designed to cater to the state of art technology that could support the industrial requirement for the design of a controller for electrical power apparatus and systems.

The faculties are involved in providing expert consultancies to small scale industries around Tamil Nadu on design validation of instrument transformers, power switches etc.


Setting Research facilities with lab infrastructure and Manpower Development to create exposure and proficiency in the design of controllers for power industries on electrical apparatus and rotating machines. The division has a vision of setting a state of art lab for Non-Destructive testing of electrical machines using advanced transducers and signals analysis techniques to serve the small scale industries around Tamil Nadu.

About the Curriculum

The curriculum was designed by the expert research group, industrialists and academicians, to meet today’s demands of the Industry as well as Research Groups. The syllabus is focusing on various areas like Adaptive and robust control, Stability analysis, the study of non-linear dynamics, advanced courses on Instrumentation, industrial field bus etc.

Infrastructure facilities

The Control & Instrumentation Division has invested over Rs.2.0 crores to develop a fully equipped laboratory to meet the requirement of Research & Development in this area. The lab is equipped with Target board supported software packages like LABVIEW 8 with NI-ELVIS, WANDERWARE and licensed version of MATLAB 7.0.1, MATHCAD, DSPACE & MAPPLE. Sophisticated test and measuring equipment as high-speed DAQ systems, DSO’s programmable ac, and dc sources, PLC, current probe, multi-channel data logger, arbitrary function generator, DSP processor kits etc.

About the Students, Placements and Industrial Visits

The statistical observation on the department placement profile is 80% of placement in the core and IT industries and the rest 20% as teaching faculties and research peer. The companies and organizations include ISRO, DRDO, CVRDE, Accenture, Wipro, Tata Elaxi, L&T, Honeywell, HP HCL, TCS, IBM, CTS etc. The students have undergone industrial visits to NLC, NTPC, ISRO, CSIR, FORD etc., to gain industry knowledge.


The department is engaged with research activities in various domains of Control & Instrumentation. The division now has 8 Research Scholars working in Full-Time and Part-Time. The research areas include robust control, Network Control System, Signal Processing, Process Control System, Implementation of control Architecture, Fuzzy and Neuro controllers, Virtual Instrumentation etc.

Ongoing Research

The department is currently engaged in pursuing the design, development of power modules for Anna University Microsatellite (ANUSAT). The testing of the flight model is in progress under the leadership of Prof.B.Umamaheswari.

The NaMPET project is a government-funded project that has the team involved in the design, analysis, development of system interfaces for rotating electrical machines and control.