+91 44 22357800
High Voltage Engineering
I. About the Division
The Division of High Voltage Engineering in the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering was established in the year 1960 in the College of Engineering, Guindy (CEG). Post Graduate course in High Voltage Engineering is offered since 1964 with an objective to produce high voltage engineers to cater to the needs of the industries in design, manufacturing and testing of power apparatus. The Division is embellished with a library having collection of rare and valuable books, testing standards in addition to proceedings and magazines. The Division has been nurtured successfully by the able guidance of highly motivated professors who have an acumen in academics, research and industry collaboration.
II. Academic Programme
The division offers Post Graduate programme in the area of High Voltage Engineering and about 25 post graduate students are on the roll. The Postgraduate course in the High Voltage Engineering has been awarded "A" grade by National Board of Accreditation. The curriculum of the PG programme is designed to meet the current and projected needs of the industry in the areas of Insulating materials, computer aided design of High Voltage Power Apparatus, Dielectric testing and Estimation of over voltage and protection schemes in Power Systems.Most of the Projects of the M.E programme are carried in collaboration with the Industries.
- To prepare the students for successful career in the field of high voltage equipment manufacturing, electrical power sectors, research and teaching institutions.
- To provide strong foundation in Insulation technology, engineering necessary to formulate, solve and analyse electromagnetic field problems and develop the ability to design High Voltage power apparatus.
- To develop the ability to estimate andanalyse over voltages and mitigate its impact in power systems.
- To develop the ability to generate, measure high voltages and to test High Voltage power apparatus.
- To provide knowledge in diversified applications of high electric fields and in Nano-dielectrics
IV. Major areas of Research
- Electromagnetic field Computation and Modelling.
- High frequency modeling of power apparatus and estimation of transient overvoltages
- Fault Detection and location in windings.
- Characterization of insulating materials under non- standard impulses and repeated impulses
- Insulation design of high voltage polymeric insulators under various pollution and atmospheric conditions.
- Measurement of EMF fields under power lines High Voltage applications in Food Preservation, Agriculture, Textile Industries, Cancer Treatment, Water Treatment, Enhanced Extraction of Micro nutrients.
- Synthesis and characterization of Bio-Nano nutrients.
- Synthesis and characterization of Nano dielectrics
- Design and Development of Insulating systems and energy storage systems with Nano-Composites
V. Infrastructure Facilities
The Division has laboratories for high voltage generation and measurement, Partial Discharge detection, Dielectric material characterization and CAD with versatile infrastructure and the undergraduate and the post graduate students are trained in these labs.
Major Equipment :
- High voltage dc/impulse generator (MWB India Ltd, India)(Two stages, 980J, 420kV DC, 280kV impulse voltage )
- Combined ac/dc/impulse voltage test set( W.S Test Systems, 980 J, 100kV AC/140kV DC/140kV single stage generator
- Cascaded Transformer,3 stage ,60kVA, 450kV
- Partial discharge detector( MWB -India Make, DTM- Main) and its accessories
- Electric cell substrate and impedance sensing system (Make:Applied BioPhysics,ECIS model Z Ɵ)
- Electroporation system with accessories(BTX Harvard Apparatus, Model 8300 ECM 830)
- Direct heat invitro cell incubator(Nuaire , USA, model ES 5800 CO2 Incubator )
- Portable electro static field meter(Monroe Electronics , Model 257D)
- Magnetic field meter (Hioki Make FT3470-52),10Hz - 400 kHz, 0.1 µT – 3mT with 100cm2 and 3cm2 sensors
- Power quality analyser(434-11)(Fluke make)
- Electric field meter (ETS –Lindgren, HI-3638 ELF/VLF), Frequency Range:10Hz - 400 kHz, E field Range: 1V/m to 40kV/m
- MAXWELL FEM Based Electromagnetic Field Simulation Package- ANSOFT V 9.1
- Electromagnetic Transient Program- EMTP RV 3.5
- Matrix Laboratory- MATLAB 12.1
- Circuit Simulation Package - ORCAD 9.1
VI. Research Programmes
The available facilities are effectively used by the Research Scholars. So far 31Ph.Ds have been produced and 18 are ongoing. All the research works are reported in International Conferences and journals.
The Division is recognized by major funding agencies like UGC, MHRD, AICTE, MODROB, TAPTEC and R&D institutions in the areas of Performance Appraisal of new dielectric materials, design and quality assurance of HV power apparatus, Characterization of insulation strength of transformer for non-standard impulse voltage and modernisation of high voltage laboratory.
VII. Industry and Institute Interaction
The expertise and facilities are utilized by the industries by way of Testing and Consultancy. Most of the M.E projects are based on the needs of the industries and many are carried out in collaboration with industries.
- Shankar Subramany, Director, KEMA High Power Laboratories in Arnhem, Netherlands and in Prague, Czech Republic
- V.S. Nandakumar ,Director General, Central Power Research Institute, Bengaluru, India.
- D.JohnYesuraj, Global Head &General Manager ( R & D ),EHV Static and Switching Devices, CG Power and Industrial Solutions Ltd, India
- Dr. Pradeep Nirgude, Additional Director and Head ,UHV Research laboratory , Central Power Research Institute , Hyderabad
- Dr.VenkateshRaghavan, Vice President, Product Marketing and R & D, EPCOS AG, Munich (A TDK Group Company)
- Denny Chelladurai Edison, Electrical Design Engineer, Trafowerk, Katzwanger Str.150, Siemens AG
- DrA.Santosh Kumar., R&D Head – GIS India, GIS R&D Competence Centre, GE Grid Solutions Padappai, India
- Kandaswamy E, Scientific Officer (H), Electron Beam Machine Section, Laser and Plasma Technology Division ,Beam Technology Development Group,BARC,Mumbai
- Muthuraj R., R&D Head, Megawin Switchgear, Salem
- Dr. S, Venkatesan,, Primary System Design Engineer, Western power Distribution, Bristol, UK.
- Saravanan S., Head Transformer Technology Centre, Hitachi ABB Vadodara, Gujarat, India
IX. Job OpportunitiesJob Prospects
Design, Testing and condition monitoring of High voltage power apparatus and systems in high voltage equipment manufacturers, electrical power sectors, research (IIT’S, NIT’S and Anna University), and teaching institutions.Industries
Our students find their career opportunities in
- International Testing Agencies and Research Organizations like KEMA High Power Laboratories in Arnhem, Central Power Research Institutes, Baba Atomic Research Centre, Electrical Research and Development Association.
- High Voltagepower equipment manufacturers like Crompton Greaves Power and Industrial Solution Limited, Siemens AG, General Electric, Hitachi ABB, EPCOS (A TDK Group Company),Vestas Wind Systems A/S, Shree AbiramiEngg works
- Medium Voltage power equipment manufacturers like MEGAWIN SWITCHGEAR, Power gear limited, Kappa Electricals
- Power Utilities like PGCIL, NTPC, TANGEDCO and other state utility boards
- Electrical Simulation Software developers like ETAP, EMTP-RV.
- Consultancy services providers like KNR Engineers (India) Pvt. Ltd., Power Research &Development Consultants Pvt. Ltd.,
- High Voltage Testing Equipment Manufacturers like High voltage India
- Research and Development of various sectorsin companies like Renault Nissan, Cura Healthcare Pvt Ltd., Infineon Technologies America Corporation, Danway E.M.E, Regal Beloit, ADNOC-The Petroleum
About 60% of the students are placed in core industries and 40% are in Academic institutions (teaching and research)
- The curriculum of the M.E. High voltage engineering has a blend of theory (60%), computation and experimentation (40%) with the following programme specific outcomes:
- Generation and measurement of High Voltages: Ability to design, analyse, simulate, generate, measure High voltages and currents and to conduct experiments towards research.
- Insulation Design of High voltage apparatus: Ability to analyse power system for transient over voltages and to optimally design insulation scheme for High Voltage power apparatus using computational soft wares.
- Testing of High voltage apparatus: Ability to conduct Destructive and Non -Destructive tests as per national and international test standards.
- Applications of experimental and research facility: Ability to use knowledge in development and characterisation of new dielectric materials , estimation and measurement of E & H fields to check the exposure limits for environmental safety and in interdisciplinary domains such as food preservation, cancer treatment and agriculture.
- Pioneers in Application of high electric fields in liquid food preservation and cancer treatment which resulted in a Ph.D. fellowship under SERB to Purdue University.
- Expertise in Nano dielectric synthetisation and characterisation and Nano dielectric applications for enhancement of energy handling capability in storage devices and lightning arrestors.
- Imparting in depth knowledge in Computation, Analysis and measurement of Electromagnetic fields and Electromagnetic Transients.