Anna University was established on 4th September, 1978 as a unitary type of University. This University was named after Late Dr.C.N.Annadurai, former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. It offers higher education in Engineering, Technology, Architecture and Applied Sciences relevant to the current and projected needs of the society. Besides promoting research and disseminating knowledge gained therefrom, it fosters cooperation between the academic and industrial communities.
The University was formed by bringing together and integrating four well known technical institutions in the city of Madras (now Chennai) namely,
- College of Engineering (CEG) (Established in 1794)
- Alagappa College of Technology (ACT) (Established in 1944)
- Madras Institute of Technology (MIT) (Established in 1949)
- School of Architecture & Planning (SAP) (Established in 1957)
The University is situated in the southern part of the city of Chennai and it is 3 kms. from the nearest Railway Station (Guindy) and 10 kms. from Chennai Airport. The University's Main Campus extends over 189 acres abutting the Adyar River on the north and Raj Bhavan on the south. The Madras Institute of Technology at Chrompet constitutes the second campus of the University which extends over 52 acres. A third campus extending over 5 acres is located at Taramani, Chennai. These campuses have a variety of buildings serving the various needs of the University community.
In 2001, Anna University was converted to an affiliating type University by bringing together all the Engineering colleges in the State of Tamil Nadu and was again reconverted to the unitary type in 2010. In 2012, Anna University was again converted to an affiliating type of University by bringing together all the Engineering Colleges in the State of Tamil Nadu under one umbrella to ensure uniform quality in engineering education.
In addition to the above, 4 University Department Campuses (CEG/MIT/ACT/SAP Campuses), presently, Anna University has 13 Constituent Colleges, 3 Regional Campuses at Tirunelveli, Madurai and Coimbatore and 593 Affiliated Colleges (Government, Government Aided and Self-Financing Colleges).
Objectives of the University:
To constantly raise the quality of engineering education thereby to produce superior human resource to match rapid technological developments
To share its academic experience and infrastructure with other institutions for providing quality education across the State and help students to fulfill their dreams.
To uphold the highest ethical and professional standards while imparting engineering education and while fulfilling its obligations to students and staff.
To serve the society with technological advancement and to actively take part in building knowledge-based society.
Anna University shall strive towards a World Class Institution by producing professionals with high technical knowledge, professional skills and ethical values. The University shall be a preferred partner to the industry and community for contribution towards their economic and social development by providing high quality manpower through excellence in teaching, research and consultancy.
Anna University shall be recognized as a point of reference, a catalyst, a facilitator, a trend setter and a leader in technical education.
Anna University offers 29 UG and 90 PG Programmes in various disciplines in the University Departments and 41 UG and 57 PG programmes in Affiliated Institutions. About 16007 students are pursuing their degree programme in the University Departments and about 7,21,276 students are pursuing their degree programme in the Affiliated institutions. Anna University is proud of having 14023 Ph.D. scholars on roll in Science, Engineering and Technology.
University with Potential for Excellence:
University Grants Commission has recognized Anna University as "University with Potential for Excellence" (UPE) in the XII plan period for its expertise to develop Research & Development activities in the area of Biomedical Engineering and Applications.
World University Ranking (QS):
In World University Ranking Anna University is ranked 201 as per QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) in the Faculty of Engineering and Chemical during the year 2017-2018. In the subject of Mechanical, Aeronautical and Manufacturing Engineering, Anna University is ranked between 151 and 200 in the global level and 7 in the national level.
In the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) Ranking 2017 by the MHRD, New Delhi, Anna University is ranked as below among the various Universities/Institutions that took part in the NIRF 2017 in India.
1. 6th Rank in the University category
2. 8th Rank in the Engineering category
3. 13th Rank in the Overall category
NAAC re-accredited Anna University with a CGPA of 3.46 on a four-point scale (highest among all the State University of Tamil Nadu) at "A" grade valid for a period of five years from 24th September 2014.
The University stands 2nd in India in the "‘h" index citations, based on the research papers published by its faculty members and research scholars.
1. UGC has recognized Crystal Growth Centre, Anna University as a National Facility.
2. Institute of Remote Sensing (IRS) has been recognized by Government of India for coastal zone regular mapping. It is also the first state Centre to establish GIS.
3. National Centre for Sustainable Coastal Management (NCSCM) has been established by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change with a grant of Rs.200 Crores at Anna University to promote sustainable coasts through increased partnerships, conservation practices, scientific research and knowledge management for the benefit of current and future generations.
4. National Hub for Healthcare Instrumentation Development (NHIID), a national facility was established with an initial funding of Rs.12.4 crores for DST to promote the development of indigenous products, calibration standards, platform technologies and human resource development in the healthcare area, for the country.
5. University Library has been ranked 7th in e-resources usage in all over India and stands in the 1st position in Tamil Nadu. We have currently more than one lakh sixty thousand books with 500 print journals (more than 12000 e-journals).
6. Centre for University Industry Collaboration (CUIC) received Sustainable Institute Industry Partnership (SEED) award for the two consecutive years for the achievements in the areas of industry academia.
1) The University has revised the curricula and syllabi for the programmes offered at University Departments from 2015-16 with Choice Based Credit System (CBCS). University is to initiate CBCS with new curricula and syllabi under regulation 2017 for affiliated colleges.
2) e-Patasala content for the PG Courses of Computer Sciences are prepared by the Anna University with the funded by Government of India.
3) National Mission for Education through Information & Communication programme is coordinated by the Educational Multimedia Research Centre (EMMRC) under which the e-content for the PG course on Data Base Management, Software Engineering, Operating System and Data Structure have been prepared and uploaded in the SWAYAM Portal. This is under the programme of Prime Minister Digital Initiative for the benefit of massive open online courses (MOOC) which will enable any citizen to correspondingly learn a desired subject of interest at their own convenience.
4) The Centre for Faculty Development of Anna University Chennai conducts the ANNA EDUSAT live interactive audio-video lecture programmes transmitted through KU-Band provided by ISRO, Bangalore from January 2006. Presently it focuses on the needs of B.E. students of Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Civil Engineering, General Engineering subject and Mathematics meant for students of all branches. ANNA EDUSAT also conducts programmes for students on improving the "Employability Skills of Students" and for Faculties on "Latest Technologies".
5) Secured Examination Management System (SEMS) developed by the Faculty at the O/o. the Additional Controller of Examinations is a web-based application for efficient management of Examination activities of University Departments. This system handles the process of enrolment by the students from start to the completion of the Examination and issue of Grade Sheets. It is an online application, which provides services from anywhere at any time (24/7). This application supports Examination Management of all regulations including Choice Based Credits System (CBCS) for University Departments of Anna University.
1) ANUSAT developed by Anna University is the first satellite designed, developed and operated by an Indian University (It was launched on 21.04.2009 and operated in orbit for a period of three years).
2) Anna University got selected for support under the Tamil Nadu Innovation Initiative Scheme for Rs.20.00 Crores towards the design and development of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), to make use of it during natural calamities and to keep a check on security threats and dangers.
3) 323 sponsored research projects for a value of Rs.96.18 crore, 5014 consultancy services for a value of Rs.129.33 crore and 8157 testing works for a value of Rs.3.08 crore were carried out during the period from 2011-12 to 2016-17.
4) Department of Science and Technology (DST) supports Anna University under Promotion of University Research and Scientific Excellence (PURSE) scheme. DST has sanctioned Rs.35.60 crore in Phase II starting from 2014.
5) Currently there are 14 SAP (Special Assistance Programme) recognized Departments with a grant of Rs.16.98 Crores from UGC and 17 Departments under FIST scheme with a grant of Rs.16.90 Crores from DST.
6) Department of Biotechnology has been sanctioned Rs.10.44 crores towards "Boost to Anna University Interdisciplinary Life Science Programme for Advance Research and Education (DBT-BUILDER)" for 5 years from 2014-2019.
7) BRNS-DAE facility for Laser Medical Technologies has been established at a cost of Rs.5 crore in the Department of Medical Physics.
8) Anna University has filed 54 inventions for patents and has obtained 6 National patents during the period from 2011-2012 to 2016-2017.
9) During 2011-17, 5753 papers have been published in the International Journals, 434 papers have been published in National Journals.
10) Anna University has signed 41 MOUs with Foreign Universities/Institutions and 26 MOUs with Institutions/Industries at National Level.
11) The prestigious Visvesvaraya scholarship of DeitY is given to 25 Ph.D. Scholars with 5 equivalent scholarship grant from Industries.
12) Two solar PV systems have been successfully implemented in the University for water pumping (4 kw) and power generation (10 kw) during the last year.
13) Anna University publishes a peer reviewed AU-International Journal of "Science Technology Engineering Architecture and Management (AU-STEAM)".
14) Kurukshethra is a student event supported by UNESCO and organized every year in the campus to promote technical and engineering ideas.
1) Anna University successfully conducts UG & PG admissions under Single Window Counselling every year covering about 1.50 lakh candidates.
2) Under the Students Exchange programme, 65 international students and 190 students of Anna University have studied in Anna University and foreign Universities respectively during the period from 2011-12 to 2016-17.
3) Ford Foundation-USA awarded the Alan Mulally Global Leadership in Engineering scholarship (US$ 10000) to 3rd year student of Computer Science at CEG for the academic year 2015-16.
4) The CUIC, Anna University jointly with Renault Nissan Technology and Business Centre India (RNTBCI) facilitated CSR Initiative of RNTBCI to provide Merit cum means scholarship for 60 Mechanical Engineering students studying in University Department, skill development for 600 Mechanical Engineering Students studying in the affiliated colleges of Anna University (Rs.17.00 lakhs) and Advanced Level Quality Improvement programme for 120 students studying in University Departments (Rs.10.00 lakhs).
5) About 90% of the registered students of Anna University Departments are placed through the Centre for University Industry Collaboration.
6) Totally 1,14,215 students and 7476 staff members and their families are benefited through Medical Insurance Scheme.
7) Knowledge Data Centre, Anna University provide complete online services catering to the students of University Departments and University College of Engineering for the payment of Tuition Fees etc. through the web portal www.aukdc.edu.in. The Centre functions as a complete storage and retrieval system of all the Faculty, Staff and Students.