"MERGE" Erasmus + CBHE project
Anna University has signed a partnership agreement MERGE under the "Erasmus+ Capacity Building in Higher Education" action funded by the European Commission with the University of Genova, Italy.
Objectives of MERGE
- To improve internationalisation practices through strengthening institutional capacity in south Asian higher education institutions;
- To Strengthen institutional capacity in implementing internationalisation through tailor-made trainings and accrediting strategic plans for the institutional development on internationalisation & International Relations Offices (IROs) and encourage national awareness & regional integration through establishing a regional network on Internationalization of Higher Education (IoHE) in South Asia.
- To promote Higher Education (HE) internationalisation culture by setting up a network for dialogues, exchanging good practices and boosting student and staff mobility between Europe and Asia.
MERGE - Improving Internationalization practices in Higher Education
A webinar on MERGE - Improving Internationalization practices in Higher Education was held on 16th December 2020 and registered by nearly 70 participants all over Tamil Nadu. Prof. G. Nagarajan, Director, Centre for International Relations, Anna University was the speaker of the webinar. The online event's agenda included internationalization where academicians and students from Tamil Nadu reported on typical issues and challenges encountered and the solutions applied by the colleges/universities. The virtual event was facilitated via Google meet and live-streamed.
Prof. G. Nagarajan briefed about the existing cooperation between Anna University and foreign institutions, as well as to help start new programmes of cooperation, especially in the faculty / students exchange programmes, Joint research etc. which will enrich both students and academics between Anna University and foreign institutions.
Prof. G. Nagarajan interacted with students and explained about the opportunity of higher studies in foreign countries and internship / exchange programme as well. He briefed about the Double Masters degree a highly recognized excellence programme run under an official agreement signed in 2011 between Anna University and Ecole Centrale De Nantes, France. Further, he explained the Collaborative Academic Agreement (3 + 1 + 1 programme) which is going to be signed shortly with the University of North Texas, USA. Besides, he also explained about the possible collaboration of projects with foreign universities.
The programme proved to be informative to the target audience in higher education opportunities. The lecture was followed by an interactive session with the students and staff who attended the webinar.
2nd Quality & Management Board Meeting held on 18th November 2020
The 2nd Quality & Management Board Meeting was held on 18 November 2020 via Google meet and the following discussions were
- The report will be based on the questionnaire results.
- The report will be sent to all partners by the end of December/beginning of January
- Date proposed for the 1st Training: February 2021 (first week)
- First training leader and topic: UNIGE; "Strategic Planning"
- Each training will last 3 days
- A minimum of 60 staff to be trained in total (10 per university)
- Special attention to women's participation
- Guidelines for Purchase of Equipment sent and presented to all partners
- Any publication, press release, activity, conference and the link to each institutional website page/s where MERGE project info/fact-sheet is published must be sent to Agora Institute (deadline for submission until the end of December 2020)
- All information sent to UNIGE/Agora Institute must be translated into English
- Any information and publication about MERGE can be consulted on the Intranet ( https://erasmus-merge.eu/index.php/login/)
1st Quality and Management Board Meeting held on 23rd September 2020
The 1st Quality & Management Board Meeting was held on 23rd September 2020 via Google meet. The salient outcome of the meeting is as follows :
- Quality Board meeting to discuss the progress and the outputs of the project by looking at the indicators described in the logical framwork (LFM), work plan and satisfaction from partners.
- Both internal and external quality controls ensure that the implementation of the project is on track.
- MERGE applies strict quality control and monitoring to ensure the outputs and outcome are satisfied with the objectives, indicators, the LFM, and sustainability after project lifetime.
- Quality meetings will be held on a bi-monthly basis.
- Quality Plan presented and explained to all partners.
- The Quality Plan has been uploaded on the Intranet of MERGE and can be consulted by any board member.
- List of quality control mechanisms (annexes) presented.
- Survey system and data collection explained to all partners (survey on internationalization practices in South Asian Higher Education).
- Complete and partial survey results sent to all EU Partners.
- The content of the trainings will be developed based on survey results.
- The EU Study Visit (WP1) will be postponed to 2021.
- List of equipment to be purchased: extended deadline until March 2021.
- Any publication and activity regarding MERGE must be sent to Agora in order to upload the content on the website of the project.
- Any information and publication about MERGE can be consulted on the Intranet.
Online Kick-Off meeting (KoM) held on 17th and 18th June 2020
The Online Kick-Off meeting was held on 17th and 18th June 2020 via Google meet. On behalf of Anna University, Prof. G. Nagarajan made a presentation highlighting the existing activities in terms of AU Ranking, Joint Research Projects, Equipped Laboratories Etc.
Overall framework of the MERGE project was discussed in the KoM. The meeting focused on the current organization and situation of the international dimension of the institution.