Institute for Energy Studies (IES) was established as an autonomous centre in the year 1999 by integrating 3 centers of excellence namely Centre for New & Renewable Sources of Energy, Center for Automobile Research & Training & Centre for Appropriate Technology. Government of Tamilnadu provided the grants for establishing the Institute.
The main objectives of the Institute are:
- To provide sustainable support for the integration of higher engineering education with its energy related research activities.
- To train man power with strong basics in energy related areas including Renewable Energy, Energy Conservation,
Sustainable Energy Systems etc.,
- To provide consultancy to industries in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation & Management.
- To offer various short term training programmes, seminars, workshops etc, to the industry executives /
managers for their knowledge updatement.
- R & D of new technologies for efficient harnessing of Renewable Energy