Anna University, one of the premier universities in the country, has established Centre for New & Renewable Sources of Energy (CNRSE), in the year 1984 and later it was renamed as Institute for Energy Studies (IES) in the year 1999, considering the need for creating trained manpower for energy projects, ensuring energy security and environmental conservation. This Institute has the state-of-the art facilities in the field of energy engineering and serves as a hub for learning of higher standards and gaining hands-on experience in the fascinated field of energy engineering.
To sustain our collaboration with Energy Intensive Industries, Government Bodies, Development Partners and Academia, so as to generate professional post graduate engineers with high technical knowledge possessing requisite skills and ethical values. The Institute shall strive hard to be a pioneer in research, innovation, development, deployment, dissemination of knowledge and good practices on energy technology for the benefit of humanity.
- To educate and train students in the field of energy generation, utilization, conservation, energy efficient technologies, energy storage and renewable energy for sustainable development
- To render consultancy for needy industries to solve their challenges in an environmentally benign manner
- To identify and develop energy efficient alternatives adopting state of the art technologies in lieu of conventional energy conversion systems
- To create an interface among industries, research centres, academia and society by aiding mutual interaction for promotion of clean energy processes and products
- To suggest policies for reducing the carbon footprint and promote green energy
The major objectives of IES are
- to train manpower in the field of energy generation, utilization, conservation and energy efficient technologies;
- to promote renewable energy technologies to pave way for sustainable development;
- to conduct the energy research to understand the challenges of various processes and methods;
- to research and develop alternative energy efficient alternatives to the present energy conversion techniques;
- to conduct conferences and workshops to disseminate the various energy efficient & modern practices of energy generation, conversion, utilization and conservation;
- to optimise energy systems for the best performance;
- to create an interface among the industries, research centres, academia and beneficiaries for mutual interaction and promotion of energy related processes / products;
- to suggest energy policies suitable for the states and the nation;
- to offer consultancy service to the industries to find solutions to their challenges and
- to reduce the carbon footprint and promote sustainable development by introducing new and innovative technologies.
In a nutshell, IES contributes to the growth of the Nation through training, research and the socio economic sustainable development of the society.The Institute offers two Post Graduate Programmes, namely,
- M. E in Energy Engineering and
- M.E. in Solar Energy.