Programmes during 2022 - 2023
1. State Level Women Empowerment Conference, Workshop & Exhibition:
The Centre for Empowerment of Women (CEW), in association with Women Entrepreneurs Welfare Association of Tamilnadu (WEWA-TN) & Women Seva Trust conducted a State Level Women Empowerment Conference, Workshop & Exhibition on 10.09.2022 Saturday at Vivekananda auditorium – Anna University campus from 9.30 am to 5.00 pm.
WEWA is a Tamilnadu state and Central Government registered and recognized association. This association has been working for the promotion for women as entrepreneurs and for betterment of youth and women since 2008 in Tamilnadu with more than 22000 as their members.
Highlights of Conference:
- Nearly 1000 participants comprising of female students from Engineering and Arts & Science Colleges in and around Chennai, women staff and spouse of male staff of Anna University, women faculty from Anna University and women registered with WEWA.
- Udhayam, GST, PAN Card, gem Portal procedures and registration, Central and State government schemes and subsidies – by various experts.
- Free skill Development Workshop (Herbal napkin, Herbal oil, Herbal soap).
- Awards for best women entrepreneur, best social service and best agriculture practice.
2. Exhibition of products by women Entrepreneurs:
An exhibition of products by various women entrepreneurs was held on 10.09.2023 in the corridors around Hall No.13, CEG Campus, Anna University. There were 40 stalls by women entrepreneurs with products ranging from clothes, readymade dresses, jute materials, millet readymade food powder packets, fancy jewels, terracotta items, flower pots etc. A sum of around Rs.2.00 lakhs was generated through this exhibition by the women entrepreneurs.
3. Breast and Cervical Cancer screening:
Screening was held on 11.08.2022 for the staff of Anna University. Screening was done by a team from Adyar Cancer Institute free of cost. However, it was limited to women on temporary/ daily wage assignments, who may find it difficult to afford these tests on payment basis. If any further test is required, Cancer Institute has assured to take them to their hospital, provide all further assistance, free of cost. 30 women staff were screened for this test.
4. Exhibition and sale of Khadi and Handloom Cloth:
The Centre for Empowerment of Women (CEW) in coordination with Department of Textile Technology, AC Tech campus conducted an Exhibition and sale of Khadi and Handloom cloth by weavers during 11 – 12 August 2022 in Hall No.10, CEG Campus in connection with celebration of Nation’s 75 years of Independence. This exhibition was inaugurated by our honourable Vice-Chancellor Prof.Dr.R.Velraj. There was a foot fall of around 1500 visitors for this Exhibition. A sum of around Rs.2.00 lakhs was generated by the weavers.
5. Competition for staff of Anna University:
Competition for the staff (both men and women) of Anna University was held on 20.01.2023 in connection with celebration of Nation’s 75 years of Independence.
||Title of the competition
||Date, Time & Venue
||No. of Participants
||Singing competition on the topic Desa Bakthi Paadalgal
||20th January 3.00 pm to 4.30 pm
Prizes were given to three best performers during Republic day celebration on 26.01.2023 by our honourable Vice-Chancellor.
Competitions for children of staff of Anna University:
The following annual Competitions were organized by the Day Care Centre under the auspices of the Centre for Empowerment of Women, Anna University for the children of the staff (teaching and non- teaching staff – CEG/ACT/SAP/MIT campus) of Anna University in connection with the Republic day 2023
Details of competitions:
||Title of the competition
||Date, Time & Venue
||No. of Participants
||21st January 2023
10.30 – 11.30 am
Ground floor of Mathematics department.
||Fancy Dress Competition
||21st January 2023
11.45 am to 12.45 pm
||Cooking without Fire
||21st January 2023
11.45 am to 12.45 pm
The winners were given prizes in the Republic day celebration on 26.01.2023 by our honourable Vice Chancellor.
6. Women’s day 2023 Programmme:
Empowerment of Women (CEW) organized the following events in association with Prevention of Sexual Harassment (PoSH) Cell, Centre for Entrepreneurship Development(CED) and Aakriti, CEG Girls Forum:
i)The following Competitions were conducted for the staff and research scholars of Anna University:
||Title of the competition Date, Time & Venue
||No. of Participants
Saree draping & Facial make-up
22.02.2023 (Wednesday): 2.30 - 5.00 pm
II Floor Eastern Wing Class Rooms
Science & Humanities Block
||Activity based - 4 games
University Sports Ground
Breast and Cervical Cancer screening was held in association with Women Entrepreneurs Welfare Association (WEWA), Health Centre-Anna University & Cancer Institute, Adyar. 35 women staff were screened. Physical examination and pap smear was conducted for these registered women staff and research scholars. Screening was held on 27.02.2023 (Monday): 9.00 am - 2.00 pm Venue: Health Centre, Anna University.
iii) Day-long celebration of Women’s day in association with Women Entrepreneurs Welfare Association (WEWA)
The following competitions were conducted on 8.3.2023 at Vivekananda auditorium
- Vegetable Carving
- Bouquet making
- Fashion Parade
- On the spot games
- Cultural program by various student groups and staff of Anna University were presented for the audience.
Awards function was held in the evening on 8.3.2023. Winners of the above competitions were given prizes. About 750 women staff, students, research scholars and members of Women Entrepreneurs Welfare Association participated in this programme.
iv) Women’s day special Exhibition for 3 days:
Exhibition of products by Self Help Group Women and Women Entrepreneurs was
held on 08.03.2023 to 10.03.2023 from 9.30 am to 5.30 pm, Venue: Hall No.13, Department of Mathematics, CEG Campus, Anna University. There were 70 stalls put up by women entrepreneurs and Self Help Group women. Various products ranging from sarees, fancy jewels, jute materials, terrracota items, children’s toy items, fancy silk and cotton sarees, cake and pastry items, siddha medicines, millet products, health oil extracts to food items were exhibited and sold in these stalls. The sale was to the tune of Rs.4.5 lakhs.
7. PoSH Awareness Programme:
PoSH awareness programme on the Internal Complaints Committee and Redressal Mechanism of Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell was conducted for the effective functioning of the forum in all the University campuses with participation of faculty and student representatives in coordination with the Prevention of Sexual Harassment - PoSH Cell for all women staff members (Teaching and Non-Teaching) on 14.03.2023 and for all men staff on 21.03.2023 at Vivekananda auditorium from 1.30 pm to 4.30 pm. Presentation on PoSH awareness was given by Mrs.Rama Haran, PoSH External ICC Member, Anna University. There was a Group discussion on Case Studies by Mrs.Rama Haran and Dr.K.Premalatha, Director, PoSH Cell and Dr.G.R.Rajarajeswari, Director i/c, Centre for Empowerment of Women. About 500 staff took part in these programmes.
8. Programme on CDHER – An Online Heckathon exclusively for Women
This Online Heckathon was organized during 7 – 8 April 2023 by the ACM Stusents Chapter with Centre for Empowerment of Women as promotional partner. Totally 93 teams of female students from Engineering colleges participated in this Online event.
Programme during 2021 – 2022
International Women’s day programme was held through online mode on 8th March 2021 from 3.30 pm to 4.30 on the topic “Tools and techniques for
stress free womanhood”. Dr.Gowri Ramachandran, Chartered Wealth Manger and Economist was the speaker of this programme and she addressed
the staff on the above topic. About 50 staff took part in this programme.
International Women’s day 2022 programme was held by the Centre for Empowerment of Women in coordination with POSH – Prevention of Sexual Harassment
Cell and Aakriti – Girls’Forum of CEG. Ms.Sai Kripa Prasanna, a Psychologist, Orator and an established Bharathanatyam danseuse was invited to
address our faculty, staff and students on the topic “Pennin Menmaiyum Menmaiyin Menmaiyum”. This programme was held on 07.03.2022 between 3.30 pm
to 5.00 pm in the AACEG Seminar Hall, Alumni Association CEG Campus, Anna University. About 100 staff and students participated in this programme.
Programmes during 2019 – 2020
“Retirement Investment Planning, IT Returns Filing and Savings” for the staff members of Anna University on 27th September, 2019 by Thiru.R.Venkatesan. No.of beneficiaries:60 staff
Health Awareness Programme on “How to prevent Cancer” held on 17th August 2019 by Dr.G.Kalavathy, Radiation Oncologist, Chennai. No.of beneficiaries:100 women staff
Motivation lecture for first year CEG campus students on Psychiatry by Dr.Yamini Kannappan held on 2nd August 2019. No.of beneficiaries:750 students
Motivation lecture on Social Work by Mr.Elango held on 3rd August 2019. No.of beneficiaries:750 students
Motivation lecture on Entrepreneurship by Dr.Balasubramanian held on 4th August 2019. No.of beneficiaries:750 students
Motivation lecture on Qualities of CEG students by Dr.Vipinendran, Professor, Printing Technology, Anna University held on 6th August 2019. No.of beneficiaries:750 students
Motivation lecture on Gender Sensitization by Dr.Radha Subramanian, Counsellor held on 7th August 2019. No.of beneficiaries:750 students
Conduct of Annual Drawing Competition 2019 on 5.1.2019. No.of beneficiaries:30 children
Various Competitions for the women staff members were conducted during February 2020 in connection with International Women’s day on 8.3.2020. No.of beneficiaries:150 staff
Women’s day Programme International Women’s day function & Prize distribution on 6th March 2020. General Health awareness by Dr.Yamini Kannappan. No.of beneficiaries:150 staff
Exhibition of products by SHG women –stalls near Department of Chemistry during 4th – 6th March 2020 from 10.00 am to 6.00 pm. No.of beneficiaries:30 SHG women
Programmes during 2018 – 2019
1. Talk on Challenges in Architectural practices for women architects”: A talk on “Challenges in Architectural practices for women architects” was organized for the architecture students of SAP Campus, Anna University. Mrs. Arch.Sheila Sriprakash of Shilpa Architects addressed the girl students on 25th July 2018.
2. Conduct of Awareness talk on “Ideal Work Place Behaviour with regard to Act” for five constituent colleges of Anna University: As part of the Gender Sensitization Programme in coordination with the POSH – Prevention Sexual Harassment Cell, an awareness talk on “Ideal Work Place Behaviour with regard to Act” was held for the faculty and research scholars of five constituent colleges (Tindivanam, Villupuram, Panruti, Arani and Kanchipuram) on 13th October 2018 in Tindivanam campus. Ms.Radha Subramanian, Founder Trustee of Samathalam Trust and Member of POSH Committee IT & Manufacturing Sector, Work Place Counsellor was the speaker of this programme.
3. White Ribbon Campaign on “Prevention of Sexual Harassment:
The POSH Cell and CEW organized a White ribbon and Signature campaign for the students and staff of CEG campus during the fortnight campaign during November 25 – December 10. White ribbons were distributed for the students in their respective class rooms and Staffs of the departments during the period and also the students and staff were instructed to take a pledge to end violence against women. The students and staff were instructed to place their signatures on FOUR banners displayed near CEG Canteen, Boys Hostel, Knowledge Data Centre and Administrative Office of University (White building) showing their support and commitment to end violence against women. Our honourable Vice-Chancellor and Registrar took part in this campaign.
4. Conduct of Drawing Competition in MIT Campus:
A Drawing Competition for children of staff of MIT Campus was held on 17.11.2018 in connection with celebration of Children’s day on 14th November as part of the activities of the Day Care Centre.
5. Conduct of Awareness talk on “Prevention of Sexual Harassment” for University College of Engineering, BIT campus, Trichy:
As part of the Gender Sensitization Programme in coordination with the POSH – Prevention Sexual Harassment Cell, an awareness talk on “Prevention of Sexual Harassment” was held on 1st December 2018 in University College of Engineering, BIT campus – Bharathidasan Institute of Technology for the faculty and research scholars.
6. Programme on “Work-Life Balance”:
The Centre for Empowerment of Women (CEW) in coordination with the Women’s Counselling Club, Department of Mechanical Engineering (DME) organized a programme on “Work-Life Balance” for all the women staff (teaching & non-teaching), research scholars and students of the Department of Mechanical Engineering on 17th December 2018 in Henry Maudslay Hall, DME.
7. Conduct of Annual Drawing Competition:
Annual Drawing Competition was held on 5/1/2019 for the children of staff of Anna University and prizes were distributed to the winners on the occasion of Republic Day from the hands of our respectable Vice-Chancellor.
8. Programme on “Women in Academic and Research – Dual Role”:
The Centre for Empowerment of Women and Centre for Research jointly organized a talk on “Women in Academic and Research – Dual Role” on 5th February 2019 for the research scholars and faculty of Anna University. Dr.Rajeswari, Professor, Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai was the Speaker for this programme.
9. Conduct of competitions for International Women’s day Programme:
Various competitions such as Kolam, Child in You, Outfit, Mind Your Steps, Anthakshari, Focus and Pin Bowling were held during 25th February to 28th February 2018 for the women staff of Anna University.
10.Women’s Fitness Walk was organized on 1st March 2019 in MIT Campus in coordination with POSH – Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell.
11. Conduct of International Women’s day Programme 2019: The International Women’s day programme was held on 12th March 2019. The Chief Guest of this programme was Dr.S.Renukadevi, Professor, NITTTR, Chennai. The presidential address was delivered by our Registrar, Dr.J.Kumar. The Special Address was given by our Dean, CEG, Dr.T.V.Geetha and the prizes were distributed to the winners of competitions.
12. Conduct of Exhibition Products by SHGs and Women Entrepreneurs:
The exhibition was held from 11 – 12 March 2019. 25 stalls with products were put up and the SHG Women and other women entrepreneurs marketed their products.
Programmes during 2017 – 2018
1. Conduct of Arts and Crafts Classes such as Canvas Painting, Crown making and Ice cream with stick craft were taught for children of staff of MIT Campus during 27.4.2017 to 28.4.2017.
2. Conduct of Awareness Campaign on “Gender Sensitization”:
Awareness Campaign on “Gender Sensitization” was held on 14th September 2017 for the first year students of AC Tech and SAP campuses in coordination with POSH – Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell, Anna University.
3. Conduct of “Generating awareness about legal rights for women”.
Dr.Reddivari Revathi, Professor & Head, Department of Constitutional Rights & Director, Research & Publication,Tamilnadu Dr.Ambedkar Law University, Chennai addressed the students and our faculty on the legal rights for women on 18th September 2017.
4. Conduct of Programme on “BRIDGES- Connecting People and Ideas”:
In coordination with TEDx, a non-profit platform, to help girls and women connect with an environment that inspires the expression of unique view points and have dialogue that can open mind and change the opinion to have positive attitude, the Centre for Empowerment of Women conducted “BRIDGES- Connecting People and Ideas” on 5th November 2017 at Vivekanada auditorium.
5. Conduct of Annual Drawing Competition held on 6/1/2018 for the children of staff of Anna University. Prizes were distributed to the winners on the occasion of Republic Day function held at University.
6. Conduct of Programme on “Teaching Importance of Grooming and Self-Confidence” was held on 13.2.2018 for the final year students of MIT Campus for the purpose of preparing them to face interviews and to inculcate confidence for successful presentation.
7. Conduct of one day Student Convention Programme:
The Centre for Empowerment of Women (CEW) in coordination with Centre for Entrepreneurship Development (CED), Anna University, Aakriti – CEG Girls’ Forum and Empowerment of women in IT – eWIT organized a one day student convention programme on the theme “Envisioning Digital India” on 22nd February 2018 at TAG auditorium.
8. Various Competitions for the women staff members such as Cooking without fire, Kolam competition, Vaanga Paadalam and Fun Games were conducted from 26th February to 2nd March 2018. A Slogan contest on “Sexual Harassment awareness” was held and the winners were awarded in Women’s day programme.
9. Conduct of International Women’s day 2018: Ms.Letika Charan, IPS, Former Commissioner of Chennai addressed the women staff and students on 8th March 2018 and distributed prizes to the winners of various competitions held.
Programmes during 2016 – 2017
1. Conduct of Gender Sensitization Awareness Programme: Gender Sensitization programme was organized on 16th, 19th and 31st August 2016 for the first year students of CEG, AC Tech and SAP campus in coordination with POSH – Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell. Around 600 students participated on each day.
Dr.I.S.Parveen Sultana, Tamil Orator and Professor, Dept of Tamil, JBAS College was the Chief Guest for the programme held on 16th and 19th August 2016.
Dr.BharathyBaskar, Tamil Orator and Senior Vice-President of MNC, Chennai was the Chief Guest and addressed the students on 31st August 2016.
2. Conduct of Annual Drawing Competition was held on 7/1/2017 for the children of staff of Anna University and prizes were distributed on the occasion of Republic day 2017.
3. Conduct of One day Student Convention Programme: The Centre for Empowerment of Women (CEW) in coordination with Centre for Entrepreneurship Development (CED), Anna University, Aakriti – CEG Girls’ Forum and Empowerment of women in IT – eWIT organized a one day student convention programme on the theme “Career Catalyst” on 21st February 2017 at TAG auditorium.
4. Conduct of International Women’s day 2017 Programmes:
1. Conduct of Talk on “Sensitizing Women towards the importance of Breast Feeding” was organized on 13th August 2015 by Dr.J.Hemamalini, Head, Department of Clinical Nutrition, Sri Ramachandra Medical University, Chennai.
2. A lecture on “Roof Gardening- Organic based” was given by Dr.A.Sadasakthi, Professor, Horticulture, Tamilnadu Agriculture University on 24th August 2015
3. Conduct of “What is Entrepreneurship” Programme on 8th September 2015 at MIT Campus. The speakers of the occasion were Mrs.Indira.J and Mrs.Vijayalakshmi Rao, Founder members of Ewit – NGO Empowering women in IT.
4. The CEW in coordination with the Entrepreneurship Development Cell, AC Tech under the CED and NSS, AC Tech organized a lecture on the topic “Women Entrepreneurship – Challenges and Opportunities” by Dr.Mangalam Balasubramaniam and Dr.(Mrs). I.SParveen Sultana on 15th September 2015 at AC Tech Campus.
5. Conduct of student convention programme on the theme “Make it Happen –Digitally” on 29th September 2015 in coordination with CED, Aakriti – CEG Girls’ Fourm and Ewit – Empowering Women in IT.
6. The annual Painting Competition and Fancy Dress Competition for the children of staff of Anna University on 9.1.2016.
7. The annual Exhibition of products by Self Help Group women of Tamilnadu, called “College Bazaar” in coordination with the Tamilnadu Corporation for Development of Women Ltd’ s Project implementing Unit called MahalirThittam was held during 4 – 5 February 2016.
8. Conduct of Competitions such as Cooking without fire and Pookolam, Quilling jewellery making, Arts or Science from waste were held from 29th February to 2nd March 2016. for the women staff of Anna University in connection with International Women’s day programme.
9. Conduct of International Women’s day 2016 celebration on 8th March 2016 in the Henry Maudslay hall, Anna University. Dr.C.Sylendra Babu IPS, Additional Director General of Police, Coastal Security Group, Tamilnadu was the Chief Guest of the occasion and he spoke about “Women Safety”.
1. Conduct of Annual Competitions for children of staff of Anna University such as Painting Competition, Fancy Dress competition and Story Telling competition was conducted on 3.1.2015.
2. Conduct of competitions such as Pookolam Competition Quilling Jewellery making Competition, Electronic Treasure Hunt Competition was organized on 26th February 2015, Art or Science form Waste Competition, Audiovisual Quiz on general topic during 24th February 2015 – 3rd March.
3. A Master Health Check-up was offered by the Health Centre, Anna University. This Check-up included blood-test, height, weight, lipid profile, blood sugar test for both men and women staff (teaching, non-teaching and research scholars).
4. Aakriti’s Carnival Programme was held on 5th March 2015 in which various stalls were put up.
5. On 5th March 2015, an awareness talk on “Prevention of Cancer affecting Women and their Well-being” was given by Dr.G.Kalavathy, Radiation Oncologist, Centre Head, Penn Nalam, Chennai. On the same day, an awareness talk on “Wellness of Men and Prevention of Cancer” was given by Dr.S.G.Ramanan, Consulting Medical Oncologist, Apollo Hospitals & Founder Trustee – Cancer Research and Relief Trust, Chennai.
6. Conduct of International Women’s day programme: Dr.(Mrs). I.S.Parveen Sultana, Professor, Dept. of Tamil, JBAS Women’s College spoke on the topic “Vallamai Tharayo” followed by talk by Dr.P.Saron, Professor, SRM Film Institute, Chennai.